1st Grade Science Activity: Identify Insects Activity
Dr. Wigglesworth is an entomologist, or a scientist who studies insects. In this activity, you’ll take on the role of lab assistant by helping him identify insects. First sort the list of animals and insects, then help him place each creature in the correct tank or cage.
Would you like to learn more about insects? Try this activity on the difference between insects and spiders.
This course can be found in our 1st Grade Science curriculum.
Students learn to perform experiments and record observations, and understand how scientists see the natural world. They germinate seeds to observe plant growth, and make a weathervane. Students will explore topics such as:
- Matter—states of matter; mixtures and solutions
- Weather—cloud formation; the water cycle
- Animal Classification and Adaptation—insects; amphibians and reptiles; birds; mammals
- Habitats—forests, deserts, rain forests, grasslands, and more; naturalist John Muir and conservation
- Oceans—waves and currents; coasts; coral reefs and kelp forests; oceanographer Jacques Cousteau
- Plants—germination, functions of roots, stems, flowers, chlorophyll, and more
- Human Body—major systems; Elizabeth Blackwell, the first woman doctor
- Light—how light travels; reflections; inventor Thomas Edison
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.